Latest Update: 3/2/2011
Thermal Receipt Printers are a quick and convenient way to provide professional quality receipts to your patients during checkout, and MJ Freeway supports both economical and top of the line printers from Star Micronics.
Please Note: At this point in time, only Star Micronics TSP 100 series printers have been certified to work with MJ Freeway.
We have taken the time to research, execute hands-on testing and certify the top of the line Receipt Printer from Star Micronics. This printer meets the following requirements:
- Provide a USB interface to connect to the Workstation:
- Nearly all of the newer model Receipt Printers connect via USB. However, several of the older models are restricted to older Serial and/or Parallel interface connections, which often provide slower performance and consistency issues during checkouts. Ensure that your Receipt Printer connects via USB 2.0 or higher for the best possible checkout experience.
- Cash Drawer connection directly from Printer:
- Currently, in order to enable automatic cash drawer functionality (such as opening upon checkout) the Receipt Printer must come with the ability to connect and communicate with the cash drawer. This connection is known as an RJ12 interface, and usually looks like a "telephone line" from the printer to the cash drawer.
- Allows for a minimum 80mm width receipt paper roll:
- MJ Freeway is designed to provide crisp, clean, professional receipts which require 72mm width for all of the output. With 80mm width capacity, the margins and look of the receipt will print without distortion, as intended.
Based on our internal testing and validation of known Receipt Printers, we have certified and recommend the following manufacturers and models for use with MJ Freeway:
- Supported Receipt Printer Manufacturers: Star Micronics
- Certified Receipt Printer Models:
Installation and Setup
If you have ever installed a printer on Windows or Mac, installing the Star Micronics Receipt Printer follows the same method.
However, this step-by-step guide will cover the specific configuration steps that must be taken for each of the versions or Windows and Mac, in order to get the Receipt Printer to correctly print from MJ Freeway through the Firefox browser.
Step1 - Getting Started
The first step to integrating your new Star Micronics Receipt Printer that has been purchased either from MJ Freeway, or at the very least meets the requirements detailed in the HWRP01 - Receipt Printers - Requirements and Overview article, is to unbox the unit, and ensure that you have all of the required components.
1. Unbox the unit, making note of the Make and Model number, in case you need support in the future.
2. Plug in the power cord into an available surge protector at the location where your receipt printer will reside. **Note: the printer will not turn on until you connect it to the computer as well as the power supply. Do not connect the USB to the computer yet. This will come later on in the set up process.
3. Take the USB cable out of the box, and connect one end to the printer, and the other to an available USB port on the workstation. Take note of which USB port you use. If you disconnect the printer and plug it in to a different USB port, Windows will not retain your printer settings. Once again, do not connect the USB to the computer just yet. You should only have the power supply and USB chord connected to the receipt printer, still not connected to the computer just yet.
Download the appropriate drivers for your Star Micronics printer model, as follows:
Select the option to 'Open with'
Windows Users - If you are installing from the download, Unzip the download first.
Double-click on "Autorun" application and follow the next steps, selecting "extract all"
Windows 8 Users - You will need to download the specific Windows 8 Driver for your printer from Star Micronics website. It is not included on the driver disc that ships with the printer.
1. Once the CD Menu appears, go ahead and click on "Install" (TSP100 Series CD Menu pictured)
2. Click on "I Accept", to Continue with the installation
3. Select "yes" when prompted to run the program InstallShield Wizard. Select "next" when asked. Go ahead and select the "Typical" settings, and click "Install" to complete the installation.
4.Follow the prompts until you reach the "finish" button. Now, turn on the TSP Receipt Printer by plugging the power supply into a live outlet (if you have not done so already). Make sure the power chord is connected completely to both the power outlet and the printer. Next, connect the USB chord from the TSP printer to your computer. This will prompt the printer to adjust itself slightly and Windows should state that it is installing a New Device. Your TSP printer power light should also be glowing green. (If no pop-up or notification was shown, wait 30 seconds, and go ahead to the next step.)
5. Go to Start | Printers and Faxes or to Start | Devices and Printers and check that the TSP Receipt Printer exists. If so, then your installation is complete.
6. If not, then go back to Step 4, and unplug your printer, and plug it in again (Leave the printer "on")
Once the installation of the TSP Receipt Printer is complete, and you can see the printer in your Printer Devices list, go ahead to the next section.
At this point, you are now ready to proceed with your Operating System specific installation and configuration.
Please select one of the following configuration walk-through wizards, based on your Operation System:
With the Printer Configuration in place, the last step is to update Firefox, and its print configuration.
The final piece of the puzzle is to correctly configure the MJ Freeway preferred browser, Firefox, to print correctly to the TSP Receipt Printer.
- In Firefox, go to File | Page Setup and then the Margins & Header/Footer tab, and ensure that all of the margins are set to 0.0 and all of the headers/footers are set to --blank--. Click Ok to save.
The configuration of the TSP Receipt Printer on the workstation is now completed, and receipts can now be printed from MJ Freeway.
For more information, you can reference these other MJ Freeway Knowledge Base articles: