Label Printers allow for a dispensary to be able to efficiently catalog inventory for quick checkout (in combination with a Barcode Reader) and to provide professional medicine labels when dispensing MMJ to patients. MJ Freeway supports both economical and top of the line printers from ZEBRA Printers.
Please Note: At this point in time, only ZEBRA Printers LP 2824/2824 Plus and TLP 2824 Plus series printers have been certified to work with MJ Freeway.
We have taken the time to research, execute hands-on testing and certify several top of the line Label Printers from ZEBRA Printers. These printers meet the following minimum requirements
- Provide a USB interface to connect to the Workstation:
- Nearly all of the newer model Label Printers connect via USB. However, several of the older models are restricted to older Serial and/or Parallel interface connections, which often provide slower performance and consistency issues during checkouts. Ensure that your Label Printer connects via USB 2.0 or higher for the best possible inventory and checkout experience.
- Supports 2" x 1" or 2.25 x 4" Label Paper Media:
- MJ Freeway is designed to provide crisp, clean, professional labels which require specific label sizes for all of output. By allowing different paper media, in either portrait or landscape mode, ZEBRA printers gives the most flexibility for printing quality medicine and product labels.
Based on our internal testing and validation of known Label Printers, we have certified and recommend the following manufacturers and models for use with MJ Freeway:
Other manufacturers also produce quality label printers, but don't offer the media support and configuration capabilities (i.e. portrait vs. landscape) to be compatible with MJ Freeway.
Installation and Setup
If you have ever installed a printer on Windows or Mac, installing the ZEBRA Label Printer follows the same method.
However, this step-by-step guide will cover the specific configuration steps that must be taken for each of the versions or Windows and Mac, in order to get the Label Printer to correctly print from MJ Freeway through the supported Firefox browser.
The first step to integrating your new ZEBRA Label Printer that has been purchased either from MJ Freeway, or at the very least meets the requirements detailed in the HWLP01 - Label Printers - Requirements and Overview article, is to unbox the unit, and ensure that you have all of the required components.
1. Unpack the unit from the box. Take note of the Make and Model number, in case you need support in the future.
2. Plug in the power cord into an available surge protector at the location where your label printer will reside. (Leave the printer turned off.)
3. Take the USB cable out of the box, and connect one end to the printer, and the other to an available USB port on the workstation.
Download the latest, appropriate printer drivers from the ZEBRA Label Printers support site, as follows:
- Zebra Designer Driver (32 bit/64 bit, Windows Certified) - LP 2824 Plus
- Zebra Designer Driver (32 bit/64 bit, Windows Certified) - TLP 2824 Plus
- Zebra Designer Driver (32 bit/64 bit, Windows Certified) - GX420d
- Zebra Designer Driver (32 bit/64 bit, Windows Certified) - GX420t
Now run the downloaded application, and follow the steps below:
1. The WinZip Self-Extractor runs, then go ahead and accept the defaults and click on the "Unzip" button.
2. Once everything is unzipped successfully, the Installation Wizard starts. Click "Next>" to continue.
3. At this step, go ahead and plug-in the ZEBRA Label Printer into the USB Port that you have designated it to stay, permanently.
4. At the "Selecting the printer"menu, choose the appropriate printer model, as follows:
For the LP 2824 Plus, choose - ZDesigner LP 2824 Plus (ZPL)
5. Click Next to continue, and in the Printer Options screen select an available "USB000x" port. (Usually there will only be one of these ports, but if there are more, select the highest port number. This will be verified at a later port.)
6. For the Additional Install Options, "uncheck" the Launch installation of Zebra Font Downloader Setup Wizard (no checkboxes should be checked in this step). Click Finish to install the printer.
7. Now open the Printers and Faxes or Devices and Printers window (depending on your version of Windows) and check that the ZEBRA Label Printer is installed and not faded.
If the printer is faded (disabled), select the ZEBRA Label Printer, right-click, and select "Printer Properties". Go to the Ports tab, and check to see what port is selected. If a USB000x is selected, and shows that it has another printer loaded (under the Printer column on the right), select the next available USB000x. Then click on Apply and Ok.
If the printer is no longer faded, then it is now installed and ready. If not, repeat the above process again.
Once the installation of the ZEBRA Label Printer is complete, and you can see the printer in your Printer Devices list, go ahead to the next section.